This quote is very evident to the logo and the reason behind the happening of these Olympic Games, in every 4 years. It has a gap of 4 years so as to make the players prepare themselves to participate in the world’s top competition. Winning the Olympic medal can be a proud show but participating in it is itself a great achievement as players are easily qualified to these matches. Players from around 200 nations participate to win that one gold medal and so the competition is very competitive. The modern Olympics has three categories called the Summer and Winter Olympics and Paralympic Games as well, so as to categorise various games and players and to give them a notable level of competition and a decent scope to showcase their talents.
EVOLUTION OF OLYMPICS:
The history of these Olympic Games tracks back to the Ancient Olympic Games which were initially held in Olympia and in Greece from 8th century BC till 4th century AD. IOC also called as the International Olympic Committee was founded in 1894 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin and the first modern Olympic Games were held in Athens in the year 1896. Baron actually addressed in the Union des Sports meeting about the revival of the old Olympic Games. He even formed an international sports congress in 1894 with had delegates from Belgium, England, France, Greece, Russia, Spain, Italy, and Sweden and from the United States who all agreed and supported his idea to bring a modern Olympics.
However the Olympic Games in the 20th and 21st centuries were much developed and evolved with many introductions and changes and eliminations as well. Even the Winter Olympic Games were introduced during this period of time which focuses only on snow and ice sports like Ice skating and many more. In aspects of Paralympic Games, it is a section allocated for athletes with disabilities. There’s also another new section called the Youth Olympic Games which involves athletes from the age group of 14 to 18. The Deaflympics and the Special Olympics are also introduced by the IOC during this period.
Olympics have come a long way from it start as many players emerged with different abilities and disabilities. Therefore the IOC decided to give everyone the equal chance to contest and win. It was also decided to move this iconic competition to other great cities in the world every 4 years. Right now, the next Olympic Games will be held in Tokyo, Japan during 2020.
Japan is one of the smallest countries in East Asia but is the most efficient place which has more talented people and experts to discover and innovate many new things. Japan is actually known for its digital innovations and the will-power that every Japanese has.
Tokyo is the capital of Japan since 1869. It is also called as Tokyo Metropolis and is one of the 47 prefectures of Japan which is the most populous metropolitan city in the world. Tokyo is known for its great landscape and it effective functioning of its government. With a population of around 13.4 million, which is the 11% of Japan’s total population, Tokyo functions as one of the most innovative and efficient cities in the world as it does contribute more to the scientific fields.
Right now, the 2020 Olympic Games are to be held in Tokyo which proves how proficient this comparatively small city is. It is in fact the second time the Japanese government is holding a Summer Olympics proving to be a powerful country as well.
In the year 2020, XXXII Olympics is to be held in Tokyo, Japan. The games start form 24th July and extends till the 9th of August, 2020. The basic and fundamental principle of this Olympics is to transform the world and does encourage the players to strive for their personal best, to make them accept one another (unity in diversity) and to pass on the legacy for the future (connecting to tomorrow). These aspects are laid more focus in this modern era Olympics so as to not only promote various athletes and their talents but to enhance humanitarian values as well. This Olympics will in fact be the most innovative one as well.
To conduct various games, Tokyo has decided to use various venues as possible, especially those old buildings built for these Olympic Games back in the year 1964. Some of the notable buildings are Nippon Budokkan for the judo games, Yoyogi National Gymnasium for the handball matches and many more. The Opening and Closing Ceremonies of this event will be conducted in the Tokyo National Stadium. Even the athletic competition will be conducted here with a revamped environment.
KEY-DATES ON 2020 OLYMPICS:
- The Olympic Games run over 17 days starting from July 24th till August 9th.
- The Opening Ceremony will be held on July 24th, 2020. However, the first soccer and softball matches will commence 2 days before the opening ceremony.
- From July 25th, 21 different sports like shooting, table tennis, cycling, fencing, gymnastics, tennis and many more, will start having their matches or competitions.
- The finals of the athletics will be on the last day of this entire event, on August 9th, 2020, which will make the spectators more excited.
- August 9th, 2020 is the closing ceremony for this grand and innovative modern Olympics.
- The 2020 Tokyo Paralympic Games will commence after 15 days of the closure of the Summer Olympics. The dates are form 25th August till September 6th, 2020.
- The total number of Olympic Games in 2020 are 540.
THE LIST OF OLYMPIC SPORTS IN 2020:
With around 339 events and 33 sports along with 50 disciplines, there will be games around 540. Some new sports are also introduced in 2020 Olympic Games. Even 15 new events with existing sports are also introduced this time as part of their evolving process.
The total list of sports are:
- Aquatics which involves artistic swimming, diving, swimming and water polo.
- Basketball is introduced in its original version and also as 3-on-3 basketball.
- Baseball is newly introduced in this Olympics which includes baseball and softball.
- Canoeing : slalom and sprint
- Climbing is newly introduced.
- Cycling includes various categories like the BMX freestyle, BMX racing, mountain biking, road cycling and track cycling.
- Equestrian with dressage, eventing and jumping.
- Field Hockey.
- Gymnastics under the categories of artistic, rhythmic and trampoline.
- Karate is also part of Olympics from now on and its sub categories are kata and kumite.
- Modern Pentathlon.
- Rugby Sevens.
- Skateboarding is a new sport.
- Surfing is also new to this completion.
- Table Tennis
- Volleyball and beach volleyball.
- Weightlifting and
- Wrestling in freestyle and Greco-Roman.
These are the different sports to be held in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
TOKYO’S PREPARATION FOR 2020 OLYMPICS:
The Prime Minister of Japan, Yoshiro Mori is the head for the organizing committee for this 2020 Olympics while Shun’jchi Suzuki, who’s the Olympic and Paralympic minister will oversee the preparation and exhibition works.The Tokyo Metropolitan Government has reserved a fund of 400 billion Japanese yen for bearing the cost of hosting the world’s biggest sport competition. A new railway line is actually to be placed for both the airports which will be connected to the Tokyo Station, as this will reduce the travel time form the station to Haneda and Narita. The government is also planning to increase the slot capacity at both Haneda Airport and in Narita International Airport so as to have a smooth functioning even during the Olympic events.
THE DIFFERENT VENUES PREPARED BY THE TOKYO GOVERNMENT FOR CONDUCTING VARIOUS SPORT EVENTS ARE:
- 2 main zones are selected to conduct various games and they are the Heritage Zone, which was used during the ’64 Olympics and the Tokyo Bay Zone which will have new and fresh venues.
- Another interesting fact about these two places is about how the shape of an infinity symbol is derived when the two zones overlap. This infinite symbol symbolises the legacy and the link between the past, present and future Olympics.
- The Heritage Zone will have 7 venues while the Tokyo Bay Zone has around 13 venues.
- Apart from these, for some specific sports which have some specific requirements, there will be some outlying venues.
- Just like in the ’64 Olympics, the New National Stadium will be the main stadium which is being rebuilt by Zaha Hadid Architects in the same place with 80000 seat capacity.
- Out of the 33 competitions, only 28 are within 8 kms of the Olympic Village and the rest 11 venues are to be constructed newly.
This is the overall outline of the venues involved in the 2020 Olympics. Apart from these, 1000+ volunteers are appointed to be the ambassadors of the Olympics and also for ensuring the smooth functioning of all the events in the stadiums.
THE 2020 TOKYO MASCOTS:
These Mascots are nothing but an indigo-blue character which called the Miraitowa which has the emblem of 2020 Tokyo Olympics. This design was developed after receiving feedbacks from around 5 million children all across Japan.
The deep meaning of the mascot is the strong sense of justice and to showcase the special ability to move anywhere instantly. The word Miraitowa was derived from a traditional Japanese proverb which refers to the concept of learning old thing so as to gain knowledge form those.
However the mascot for the 2020 Paralympic is different from the Summer Olympics. It is of pink colour which is called as ‘Someity’. This Someity loves nature and does hold a dignified inner strength. This pink mascot has cherry blossom tactile sensors and the 3 super powers like the telepathy, telekinesis and the ability to fly with a special cloak. The logo of Tokyo 2020 is placed on the heads of both the characters.
THE 2020 TOKYO TICKETS:
For now, only the Japanese residents are applicable to book their tickets for the 2020 tickets in their official website. People from other countries can use their country’s Authorized Ticket Resellers (ATR) to book their tickets and even some tour packages or the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
However, the residents of Japan, from May 9 at 10am the ticket lottery will start. Anyways, the order in which the applications are received has zero effect of the result. Please make sure you apply for your ticket lotteries as soon as possible as the server might get overcrowded once it is open. After applying for your ticket lottery, you will receive a Tokyo 2020 ID number after you submit your application.
Tickets for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics will be available in the official website through lottery applications only till they fall. Once the tickets go on sale it’s all about ‘first-come-first-serve basis and the last minute sales will be from the spring of 2020. However the basic ticket price for any adult is either 12,000 yen. Sometime it may go till 2020 yen for children, senior citizens and for people with some disabilities. The most costly ticket ranges up to 300,000 yen and this is for the opening and closing ceremonies.
INDIA’S PREPARATIONS TO THE 2020 TOKYO OLYMPICS:
A common study has revealed that the performance of India in this 2020 Olympics will be similar to that of the Rio Olympics as India has very rarely participated in events like Swimming, Gymnastics, Football and other team sports which is the main drawback as other countries win many medals in these areas. It is more important that India send athletes to at least participate in these events even when they do not win anything.
The main drawbacks of the Indian team are:
- There is no strong hold or presence in any one sport in the Olympics.
- With lack of infrastructure and ready athletes for swimming, Gymnastics and Diving, where many medals can be won, India finds it hard to send anybody to participate in these competitions.
- India has not been paying more attention in developing their stand in various sports. Even in the 2018 Asian Games, India was dominated by other countries like China and others. Therefore, as there is less groundwork in India for development and growth, the situation in the 2020 Olympics is also the same for India.
However, India is on the process of training and improving the athletes to their maximum levels. Even the funds are promised to be distributed precisely for the athletes for the 2020 Olympic Games which was promised by our Sports Minister, Mr. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore.
He has stated that the elite sportsperson are looked after by a different set of professional people and the other group of athletes are trained by another set of professionals so as to ensure bureaucracy.
Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) is a scheme developed so as to connect the athletes for a straighter, transparent and quick functioning. This TOPS was established in the year 2014 so as to fund the athletes who are seen as a strong scope for winning a medal in the 2020 Olympics.
Currently, the committee and the Mission Olympic Cell (MOC) are busy picking the right athletes, under the supervision of the Sports Authority of India Director General.
After the success of the Asian Games for India, the athletes are reminded about the 2020 Olympics and severe practices have started. The practice for the 2024 and the 2028 Olympics have also started. However, it is said that India will perform better in the 2024 and 2028 Olympics than in 2020. This does not mean India will not perform at all, comparatively it will perform quite less.However, the proper surgical support will be given to each and every athlete to perform their best in the 2020 Olympics. To ensure proper functioning and some effective trainings for the athletes, the performances of the coaches and the concerned National Sports Federations are monitored by the government.
There are around 200 elite athletes who are currently training for the 2020 Olympics and are also making sure that none of the athletes are injured. However, Indian athletes are boosted with self-confidence by noting how profoundly India has performed in the previous international competitions. This positive energy will be evident in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
These are the information about the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and the how profound the Indian team is preparing itself for the most awaited Olympic Games. Though India is not sure if they will win anything, they are so confident in giving their best in every sport they participate. The aura and the surrounding in Tokyo for these sport events are also more encouraging and engaging and comfortable to showcase one’s talent and abilities easily. Book your tickets soon if you want to see the 2020 Olympics in live by going to the official website.
Hungreeminds.com is an online platform where you can show your talent in Dance, Singing, Art & Craft, Sports, Acting, Photography, Fitness & many other activities. You can also find nearby Academies, Clubs and Institutions related to your talents. Find upcoming events, workshops, live-shows, auditions, tournaments & lot more of your city. Stay connected & promote your talents with hungreeminds.com only.